How to Keep your New Year’s Resolutions
If you make new year’s eve promises that last less time than your leftovers do then, perhaps it is time to try a new strategy. With these helpful tips hopefully this year’s tips will last a lot longer than last years!
- Make your NYE resolutions something that you really believe in and something that you want. Try to stay away from resolutions that you think you should make, or you think that other people may want you to do. The more thought you put into it, the more likely it is that you will actually follow through.
- Keep it simple! Make sure that you limit your list of resolutions so it’s small and easy to handle. It isn’t good if you try and make a page long list that you have no chance of ever sticking to. Focus your efforts on achieving a small list instead of trying to achieve some from a larger list.
- Make your NYE resolutions as specific as possible instead of generalizing them. Instead of saying, “I’m going to hit the gym more,” try “I’m going to the gym every Monday and Wednesday after work at 4 p.m.”
- If you make a financial resolution, this NYE then makes your payments as automated as possible. If you want to save or pay off a credit card, then schedule the payments, so they are taken care of automatically.
- Instead of saying one great goal that you want to achieve, try making smaller goals that are all steps towards your main goal. Setting smaller goals and rewards will help motivate you as you try to achieve your main resolution.
- You need to be prepared to change some of the habits that have prevented you from achieving these goals in the past. If you need to make small sacrifices to achieve your NYE resolution, then recognize them early on and address the changes you need to make.
- Put it on paper! Make sure that you write down your goal so that you can look at it and visualize it regularly. The more you plant the idea in your subconscious the better. Try to keep it written down somewhere that you pass by often, like the bathroom mirror or the fridge.
- Telling someone can be an extremely powerful tool to have when you are trying to achieve your NYE resolutions. Make sure that you steer clear of negative people, but positive close friends who can help encourage you will be a great benefit.
- If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again! A small slip is no big deal, and it doesn’t mean the end of the world. You don’t have to wait until next year to try again, just jump straight up and try again!
Check out our services page for more information on Life Coaching options.